Spiced Carrot Bread
This month is not really about physical travel inspiration... but rather traveling with my memory and senses. Staying home gives me the time to prepare homemade baked goods, which I LOVE to do, even when my workload is overwhelming. It allows me to stand up, get creative, and disconnect from work for a little while.
Even if summer is approaching here in Peru, it’s as if my seasonal cravings are slightly confused this year: all I want is coffee, hot chocolate, spicy gingerbread anything, and squash. It’s like my mind stayed in Canada and I want what I would typically have in autumn or winter.
So, I decided to make (yet another) bread. I normally make banana or zucchini bread because I love to have them as a mid-morning snack with coffee or tea while I work. I saw something online about carrot cake, and suddenly remembered my mom’s amazing recipe for one. I always thought she made the best carrot cake in the world; it was always my birthday cake request as a kid.
I didn’t want to make a whole cake and did not have all the ingredients for her recipe, I also didn’t have any bananas and my pumpkin was frozen: so I started grating the carrots.
Along the way, I created this carrot bread that was inspired by the memory I had of her cake.
I was very unsure when I put it in the oven, the texture seemed too thick, but I ended up with this fluffy, spicy, and delicious bread.
Since the holidays are just around the corner, it’s a great and healthy treat to sit by the fire with a coffee.
Spiced Carrot Bread
· 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
· 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
· ¾ teaspoon nutmeg (or more)
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 egg (for vegans: 1tbsp ground flaxseed with 3tbsp water)
· 4 tablespoon vegetable or coconut oil
· 1/2 cup plain yogurt (for vegans: replace with apple sauce or mashed banana)
· ½ cup unprocessed brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 cup shredded carrots
· ¼ cup shredded coconut
· ¼ cup chopped pecans + extra for the top
· ¼ cup raisins
1. Pre-heat your oven at 350F or 176C. Then, line your bread mold with a parchment paper or with a combination of coconut oil+ flour.
2. In a small bowl, combine your flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. Beat your egg with the brown sugar. Then add the greek yogurt, vanilla, and oil. Mix in the carrots, shredded coconut, pecans, and raisins.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix well.
5. Pour into your mold
6. Cook for approximately 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out try.
7. Cool before unmolding.
8. Optional: add your favorite glaze or icing, like my ginger icing recipe here for some extra spice!
Original recipe at: https://daniahabib.com/2018/11/23/spiced-carrot-bread/