How Turmeric Can Boost Your Workouts and Recovery
If you’ve been following our Turmeric Tuesdays then you already know that turmeric is nature’s most powerful anti-inflammatory, making it an indispensable element of high-powered workouts and quick recovery times.
Whether you’ve launched into a brand new fitness routine in the gym, picked up a great outdoor summer sport like cycling or simply want to improve your current workouts, turmeric is like the trainer and massage therapist you never had. Why?
Turmeric for Workouts and Recovery
1. Small muscle tears happen each time we exercise, causing muscles to grow stronger and larger as they repair. This cycle of tear and repair often causes pain and stiffness but these common symptoms can be greatly – and naturally! – reduced with turmeric. The active curcumin in the turmeric, when taken in food, beverage or capsule form, goes to work reducing the pain and inflammation in your muscles, allowing you to recover faster and achieve your fitness goals sooner.
2. As we age, joint pain becomes all too frequent and can be terribly inhibiting, stopping us not only in the gym or on the running path but also in day-to-day activities like walking and even simply sitting at a desk. Turmeric has been shown in numerous studies and anecdotal evidence from all over the world to alleviate joint pain, far better than leading pharmaceutical options. Nature is truly the best medicine!
3. When you’re huffing and puffing in a spin class or during a squat challenge, try to envision your heart vigorously pumping to provide your body’s muscles with more oxygenated blood. We know that getting our heart rate up with exercise (versus due to stress or anxiety) is one of the keys to living healthier and longer. Turmeric has long been lauded for boosting heart health, as well as for preventing and treating serious issues related to the heart including heart disease. Simply put, the more efficiently your heart works, the more intense and frequent your workout, the better you look and feel!
4. There are few things worse than a cold or flu keeping us from the gym and it can be incredibly frustrating to rest the body and backtrack on progress when we’re sick. Taking turmeric daily is one of the best ways to exponentially improve your general immunity, equipping your body with armour that prevents bad bacteria, infections, the common cold (and worse!) from infiltrating your immune system and slowing you down.
How to Take Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Every Day
· I always recommend people add turmeric to their morning coffee, to jump-start the anti-inflammatory process first thing in the day. When I’m not intermittent fasting (I’m currently on day 15/30 of my Shot of Gold Anti-Inflammatory Detox + Intermittent Fasting commitment – find out more on Instagram) then I have a huge scoop of local raw honey, a shot of Shot of Gold turmeric + black pepper blend (buy it here) and cinnamon with my dark, black coffee. Start with 1 teaspoon and work your way up to a tablespoon.
· Smoothies! I have a superfood vegan protein smoothie almost every single day and I often add about 2 tablespoons of turmeric to it, especially if I’m lifting heavier than usual in the gym or trying a new workout.
· I try to always have homemade hummus in my fridge because it’s one of the healthiest, cleanest, easiest, most delicious snacks. Add one tablespoon of Shot of Gold turmeric + pink salt blend (buy it here), 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar “with the mother” (I love the one from Bragg’s) and fresh lemon juice. All of these ingredients are excellent for boosting immunity.
· Other ideas: add to salad dressing, marinades, cook your rice and quinoa with it, add to spreads, sauces, and dips. Turmeric is amazing is almost anything and everything – even dessert! Try it in your oatmeal or chia seed pudding next time – just be sure to add a little plant-based, all-natural sweetener like maple syrup.
Want more ideas for how to power your workouts with turmeric? Reach out with questions and comments on Instagram @marissabronfman or @myshotofgold. Remember: turmeric should always be consumed with a little black pepper and a soluble fat like extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. The piperine in the black pepper activates the curcumin and increases your body’s ability to absorb and access the benefits by 2000%!
Want to join more than 130 people around the world who have received my Shot of Gold 14 Day Anti-Inflammatory Detox + Intermittent Fasting Guide? Email me firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a DM on Instagram.