5 Ways To Avoid Completely Ruining Your Progress on the Weekends
Happy Friday, everyone! Who else is excited for the weekend!?
I used to ALWAYS fear making plans or going out with friends on the weekends because I thought that it would totally destroy my progress. I thought that all of the hard work & dedication I put in during the week would just magically and completely undo itself in those two days.
Let me be the one to break it to ya... that's 100% not true.
Honestly, life is all about BALANCE. If you’re able to go into each weekend event or experience with a good game plan, chances are you'll not only NOT ruin your progress, but you'll feel even better and more capable of continuing on your fitness journey in the long run.
So, without further ado, here are my 5 favourite tips to help you enjoy your weekends, while not completely ruining your progress overall:
1. PLAN AHEAD: Learn to plan your weekly “treat” meals around fun events & occasions. Instead of giving into temptation throughout the week, try saving those calories for an upcoming date night dinner, or a fun night out with the girls! You’ll be glad you did come Monday morning.
2. MAKE BETTER CHOICES: If you’re at a restaurant or event and want to stay within your macros for the day, be sure to have a good idea of what foods and portion sizes you have left to eat and make the conscious effort to stay within those totals instead of going completely overboard. A few of my favourite strategies when ordering food/eating out, are to request sauces & dressings on the side, substitute french fries for a salad, and ALWAYS ensure I’m eating my proteins and veggies before indulging in other foods on my plate. Remember: it’s 100% possible to eat out, and still eat HEALTHY.
3. HYDRATE: Not only will this make you feel fuller (which may help to prevent you from over-doing it), but the more water you drink, the faster you will be able flush any extra waste out of your system. Aim to drink about 6-8 cups of water DAILY. (And no, this doesn’t include the water already in your food, soft drinks or mixed drinks…)
4. STAY ACTIVE: Try to plan weekend excursions or events around an activity that requires you to move around! Try a new workout class with the gals, get all dressed up and go out dancing, or explore a new part of the city you haven’t been to before. There are plenty of ways to stay active on the weekends to allow a bit more wiggle room for indulging in your favourite foods.
5. LOVE YOURSELF: If you slip up or make a mistake, love yourself REGARDLESS. In the end, try not to beat yourself up if things don’t always work out perfectly - that’s life! - and the worse you make yourself feel for enjoying something you ate or drank, the worse of a relationship you will develop with food and fitness. Remember to love yourself through it all, and make sure to get back on that grind tomorrow.
Cheers to the freakin’ weekend, babes!
With love and wellness,