Kelly’s Vegan & Gluten-Free Oatmeal Flax Chocolate Chip Cookies
Winter is the perfect time for getting busy in the kitchen & baking healthy treats! Take it from me when I say that this recipe is the place to start! What’s better than a mouthwatering, warm, chocolatey, crispy on the outside but chewy on the inside cookie that’s filling, satisfying, nutritious & absolutely DELICIOUS?
These cookies are made with simple real food ingredients, vegan, gluten, dairy, refined sugar, dairy, egg & nut-free! They’re full of plant-based protein, fibre, good carbs, healthy fats & naturally sweet flavour… basically, what I’m trying to say is that you can’t go wrong with them! The best part? You can feel totally awesome about eating these because they’re actually good for you & won’t give you the same spike & crash in blood sugar as store-bought oatmeal cookies.
Without further ado, let’s get right to the recipe. I’d hate to make you wait any longer!
• 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill);
• 1 cup of gluten-free oat flour (Also Bob’s Red Mill);
• ½ tsp. of organic non-GMO baking powder;
• ½ tsp. of baking soda;
• ¼ tsp. of salt;
• ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. of MELTED organic virgin coconut oil
• ¼ cup of organic coconut sugar
• ¼ cup of pure organic maple syrup
• 2 tbsp. of organic ground flaxseed
• 6 tbsp. of water;1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract
• ¾ - 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips!);
• ½ cup of gluten-free rolled oats;
• OPTIONAL: 2 EXTRA tbsp. of vegan chocolate chips for topping!
1. Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper & spray lightly with coconut or avocado oil. Set aside.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl & mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until it ressembles caramel.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ones & whisk until thoroughly combined.
5. Fold in the mix-ins.
6. Scoop 1.5-2 tbsp. of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Keep in mind they will spread a bit. Press some extra chocolate chips into the tops if you wish.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are browned & crispy.
8. Once baked, remove from the oven & let cool for about 10-15 minutes. They’ll arm up as they cool. Transfer them to a cooling rack or let them cool completely on the baking sheet.
9. Enjoy! Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.